Updating OM2008 over mingw/ssh

Brian bneil at rochester.rr.com
Mon Nov 29 01:00:00 CET 2010

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:04:18 +0100
luca pisani <luca.pisani at birdo.net> wrote:

> Android: http://code.google.com/p/android-on-freerunner/
> QtMoko: http://qtmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page
>

> Bye Luca

I think the OP is having trouble using standard methods, so while
useful those links aren't really answering the question.

> On 11/28/2010 01:07 PM, Jared Maddox wrote:
> > After giving up on it for a while, I'm ready to try getting a new
> > distro onto my freerunner (got a cheapo phone for free when AT&T
> > did a network migration).

Gave up for how long, and is the assumption you were using the Neo as a
primary cell phone until you got the alternate the reason for not
changing sooner? The reason I ask is that OM2008 is deprecated and no
longer developed hence updates probably won't work[1]. It did work for
me as a distro but I didn't keep it installed for very long. You also
you mention trying a new distro yet the subject is "Updating OM2008 over
mingw/ssh".

> > I've tried the SD card method (haven't
> > managed to figure that out), the flashing method (ditto),

Where are you getting stuck? It would help if you could provide more
information regarding this. Which phone do you have (1973/FreeRunner)
which distro are you trying where are you getting stuck? Is the machine
you're using to do the install a Windows PC[3]?

> > and the
> > download method (difficult when you can't get to the net at all on
> > the phone).

Sorry, don't know of any download method used other than updating a
preexisting install so I can't help you there.

> > But I know that I can at least READ FROM the phone with
> > SSH, because I've done that successfully before (and I seem to have
> > accidentally replacedt some stuff too... oops). So, what do I need
> > to do to accomplish an 'in place' upgrade, and which distro would
> > you recommend?

In place as in while the phone is running using it to install another
OS? It's likely possible to accomplish doing so on the SD card or NAND
if you've booted to a working distro that isn't on the target medium and
doesn't require the target mounted to run. It's a far more complex task
than using dfu-util[4] to install and I've never tried it. Gentoo
anyone?

As for recommendations Android on Freerunner is probably the easiest
method for and will likely require an SD card >512MB. I've used it in
the past and found the 1.5 version to be pretty good. You should be
able to accomplish setting up an SD card with AoF fairly easily on a
Windows PC. It will wipe the NAND, install a new bootloader and take a
while on first boot. Backup your contacts by hand if necessary because
they'll all be gone for good.

If you do manage to figure out dfu-util then that opens up other
options like SHR or Qtmoko. Both of these are good distros that are
actively maintained.

> > Nothing involving writing to SD card, or flashing, or bridging/etc.
> > network connections, please; I want to figure that out AFTER I
> > update the OS, NOT before.

As far as I know this is not possible without substantial effort and
skill. If anyone else thinks I'm wrong please correct me. Jared, it
sounds like you're in over your head on this one if you haven't been
successful using dfu-util. I'd honestly recommend looking for a LUG
locally[5] for some hands on help. I'm pretty sure using the subject
line "help me with my neo 1973/freerunner" should garner responses from
interested parties.

Good Luck,

Brian

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om_2008