GPS stopped working, can't figure it out... what else?

Joachim Ott jo.omsl at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 4 12:55:58 CEST 2010

On 4 October 2010 10:00, Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> wrote:
> James Hiebert <james at hiebert.name> writes:
>> "we can rule out kernel bugs." Where's the next place to check?
>
> The gps daemon you use. I use gpsd. I'm not quite sure what daemons
> SHR includes.

SHR uses fso-gpsd. There is no need to use hexdump for /dev/gps, it's
just ascii. You could also use "gpspipe -r" to watch the data (comes
with gps-utils).

Two other things he could try:

- remove the persist data: "rm -f
/etc/freesmartphone/persist/ogpsd.pickle" and try again, you should
receive valid data outside a building within 4 minutes

- get some assist data from u-blox, see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_GPS
This gives you valid data within 30 seconds