Login screen on firmware upgradation

halbtaxabo-om at yahoo.com halbtaxabo-om at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 07:53:14 CET 2011

You know, folks, I think it's time to admit that the Openmoko project was a
failure, and move on.

It was a great idea and a lot of us supported it with our money as well as our
time, but the device as eventually sold was poorly designed and badly
implemented. Even the people who bought it after several rounds of hardware
bug-fixes got a clunky device with pathetic battery-life. Since the hardware is
crap, it's not surprising that software developers didn't exactly flock to it.
Trying to make it usable is flogging a dead horse.

The nearest thing we will get to an "open" cellphone will probably be something
made by Samsung, Motorola, or one of the other big consumer-device companies,
running Android.

I don't want to offend people, but I think it's time somebody came out and said
this. If you want to put your time and effort into Free Software, then pick a
platform that has a future. Your time and effort are valuable even if you don't
get paid for them; don't waste them.

Nick