interesting read? (FOSS and communities)

Yaroslav Halchenko at
Thu Aug 14 04:19:21 CEST 2008

I thought it might be an interesting read for some of you:

[1] "Building an Open Source Community" by Phil Whitehouse
 Unfortunately I am not familiar with this guy and his opinions, and
 imho his points listed in the article are somewhat idealistic (which
 doesn't actually make them bad). I will avoid citing any of them here,
 since you might spot peculiar ones on your own

[2] "Producing  Open Source Software: How to Run a Successful Free
 Software Project" by Karl Fogel
 It is referenced in comments to [1] and it seems to be much more
 extended than just a list of the main aspects. But let me just quote 1
 sentence from the introduction

 | Running a free software project is not exactly like running a business
 | (imagine having to constantly negotiate the nature of your product with
 | a group of volunteers, most of whom you've never met!).

Enjoy the readings ;)