Intel Atom

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Thu Aug 14 09:04:02 CEST 2008

Jeffery,
can you add the Atom chip to our 'Chip Scouting' section at http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MokoForesight
  ?
Also in the future, any hardware related mails should go to hardware at lists.openmoko.org
I am getting our Electrical Engineers to subscribe to that list, and
we do take the Chip Scouting thing very serious.
Just this morning we had 2 people from Telit visit us, after someone
added the UC-864 module to the Chip Scouting section, and we were glad
to hear that open documentation is part of Telit's business strategy.

Talking about Intel, I think I can say publicly that we have a very
good relationship with Intel, they gave us a Menlow development
machine a while ago and we did some experiments with it.
We would be delighted to work with Intel on upcoming phone models,
especially if they continue with their 'open documentation' policy,
which they seem to be serious about.

One really cool thing about Intel is that they release some of their
documentation under a Creative Commons license.
Many vendors still don't do that. Even if their documentation is
'open', redistribution is forbidden. That means we cannot put these
files onto our servers, we have to link to their servers. And if they
take down the files some time later, people may be out of luck and we
cannot offer help. That's what happened to the Samsung documentation
for example.

So whenever vendors are coming in and I meet them, I mention how happy
we are about Intel releasing documentation under Creative Commons.
More chip vendors should adopt this, and I hope Intel itself
eventually will release all their documentation under a Creative
Commons license, not turn back...
Best Regards, thanks for your help in pointing us at interesting chips!
Wolfgang