Intel Atom

qrazi qrazi.sivlingworkz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 09:49:31 CEST 2008

The test referred to are with the nettop version of the Atom, the Atom N230.
That CPU is paired with a standard 945GC chipset, which consumes between 15
and 20 Watt. Hence the high power draws in those reviews.

Intel also has the Z series, which include speedstep for even lower
powerconsumption for the CPU itself, but they are also to be used with the
Intel US15 mobile chipset. For a 1.6 GHz Z530 Atom, with the US15 chipset, a
maximum draw of 5 Watt is reported. That is way lower then the combination
that PC Perspective has tested.

Although probably still not low enough for use in a phone. That however
might come in future generations, since Intels plans are to include more, if
not all, of the chipset functions into the cpu itself.