Optimization team update (11/23 ~ 11/29)

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 7 16:22:58 CET 2008

2008/12/2 Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com>:

> "buzz / echo / hiss"... no software change can fix buzz.  It's baked
> into the hardware and you will have to do fairly extreme meddling with
> your soldering iron to impact it.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that so clearly stated before!  (i.e. that buzz
is known to be 100% a hardware issue).

> "Echo" reacts to some tweaking in alsa and maybe Calypso firmware option
> selection, I guess this turn up in rootfs images as best it can.

OK, but do you need to be so imprecise about this?  What can't there
be a definitive solution?

> "Hiss and Etc" I didn't hear about, but I don't think kernel or hardware
> world can cover for any of it on existing device.  Only button to push
> in userspace world is optimization of echo I think we find, unless
> "hiss" is somethng like bad channel selection in alsa world.

I must admit that I've never heard the "hiss" either, so I don't know
exactly what it means... but someone that I called a few days ago said
there was a strong hiss on the line.

(In retrospect, I should at least have tried calling again, as maybe
it was just a line issue.)

Regards,
       Neil