Ask Sean Moss-Pultz about community matters

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Tue Dec 16 21:01:39 CET 2008

Ok, since I asked, I'll answer too.

Tim Dobson wrote:
> What phone is in your pocket right now?
none. My Freerunner is on a lanyard round my neck though.
> What distro is it running? Why?
FDOM (latest 'stable' image)
Because I don't like installing applications if I can help it.
I find installing applications (and hacking the installs) a quick way to
nuke your install.
> What do you use your phone for the most?
Sending text messages
> What distros have you tried?
(not very recently) 2007.2, 2008.8 (possibly 2008.9 as well), Qtopia
(briefly)
> What other portable consumer electronics do you use on a regular basis?
A nokia 3310 as an alarm clock and phone book.
(I realise FDOM does both of these, but I easily oversleep, so I set
reminders on the phone every 2 minutes after the initial alarm and the
qtopia-x11 doesn't seem to let me move contacts from isntall to install
easily :-/ )
> Who in the community, after yourself, deserves praise for their
> achievements which might otherwise go unnoticed?

The people who hack away on uncool programs, do things they may not
enjoy but provide the necessary infrastructure for everyone else to do
the things they want.

> What is the most pointless application on the Freerunner?

Obviously OpenMooCow does the least useful thing, but it still brings a
smile to your face, probably The GIMP running in debian on the
freerunner was what I thought was the most pointless thing, however, I
could be very wrong there and I for one would be interested in seeing
the FR work as a graphics tablet..

> What is the most interesting thing you have seen the Freerunner used for?

A vibrator is the funniest hack I have seen...
The starmap, orrey, is one of the most innovative ideas the the
potential Doom and DukeNukem3d have shown (even with less than ideal
situations with graphics drivers) for 1 first person acceerometer
control FPS is amazing.
I could go on...

In the future I want to use it as my Personal Music Player, but I trod
on one of the ear phones and it broke and haven't got round to getting
some more yet :(

> Which is your favourite Freerunner joke?
Q: What's the difference between a Freerunner and a brick?
A: A brick isn't designed to make phone calls.

Though, to be honest, this hasn't been my experience of it really, I use
it as my phone every day!

--
www.tdobson.net
----