email

Alex Osborne ato at meshy.org
Tue Sep 30 13:33:25 CEST 2008

On 30/09/2008, at 3:36 PM, W.Kenworthy wrote:

> Tried it - at the small screen setting and smallest I could set
> font the
> email got only 2 -3 words per line!  Almost useless.

I guess you're not using Debian then. Here's what it looks like out
of the box on Debian, which I suppose has a different default GTK
theme.  I haven't changed any settings except filling in my account
details and switching to small screen view and collapse quotes:

http://meshy.org/~ato/tmp/claws-gta02-deb.png

I'd actually much prefer a larger font.  While I can read that it's
not all that comfortable and is particularly difficult somewhere with
a lot of ambient light.  It's also easy to miss tap on the wrong
email in the list as the rows are so small.  It also often drags
instead of clicks due to touchscreen jitter.

My IMAP folder with this mailing list has 6317 messages, it took
about 5 minutes to download them the first time I opened the folder.
Claws was sitting at about 20% CPU, so it's likely bound by the
network speed.  Scrolling is a little slow, but no slower than any
other app on the FreeRunner that has to redraw a large potion of the
screen (due to the glamo bus speed I guess).

I'd prefer a really lightweight mail viewer that you can drive with a
finger.  Probably this would be a good use of Edje (from
Enlightenment, what Zhone uses) as it seems a bit leaner than GTK and
seems like it'd be easier to come up with something that works nicely
with pen input.  Perhaps similar scrolling as Aza Raskin's Mobile
Firefox concept video [1], but maybe scrolling out the right side of
the screen goes to the next unread message, while out the left goes
back.  Fullscreen scrolling is slow on the FreeRunner, but after
testing a bit with Edje, I still find it quite usable, it just looks
jerky.  Actually one option might be to just scroll part of the
screen (say a quarter) as a preview and then update the rest when you
release.  That should allow for smoother control.

The reason I said *viewer* is I'd probably just go with a button to
pop open a buffer in Emacs for composing/replying and use a bluetooth
keyboard, I don't think I have the patience to compose email with
fingers or a stylus. ;-)

Cheers,

Alex

[1] http://labs.mozilla.com/2008/06/firefox-mobile-concept-video/