backing up rootfs fails - after 40m FreeRunner continues booting

Bram Mertens mertensb.mazda at
Mon Apr 20 20:03:03 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Bram Mertens <mertensb.mazda at> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Bram Mertens <mertensb.mazda at> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen
>> <rask at> wrote:
>>>   Which version of U-Boot are you using? DFU Upload was broken at least
>>> until 2008-10-17.
>>> 2008-10-07      Harald Welte    u-boot: Fix DFU upload in u-boot
>> I wrote it down because I intended to include it...
>> I'll check when I get back home but this date looks familiar.
>> As for reducing the backup: I'm trying to create a backup of the
>> initial image that came with the device so I'd like to avoid throwing
>> stuff away.
>> So the recommendation would be to update the U-Boot with:
>> 1) backup exsitng U-Boot (
>> Boot NOR boto menu
>> sudo ./dfu-util -a u-boot -R -U good-u-boot.bin
>> sudo ./dfu-util -a u-boot_env -R -U good-u-boot_env.bin
>> 2) flash U-Boot
>> (
>> dfu-util -a u-boot -R -D uboot.bin
>> Reboot the device to use the new U-Boot but the following reminder is
>> not very clear to me:
>> "Reminder: You should have boot from NOR first, in order to flash the
>> boot-loader in NAND. After flashing succesfully, make sure you reboot
>> from NAND's newly flashed boot loader, to benefit from the updates. "
>> Does this mean I simply have to reboot the FreeRunner to the NOR boot
>> menu again, or do I have to boot to the NAND boot menu as
>> well/instead?
>> And from which boot menu should I continue backing up the device?
>> From the NOR menu?
>> Which u-boot.bin should I use?  And where should I get it?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Bram
> NOR boot menu shows: U-Boot 1.3.2-moko12 (May  9 2008 - 10:28:48)
> NAND boot menu shows: U-Boot 1.3.2-moko12 (Oct  7 2008 - 21:03:06)
> so I guess I need to update
> According to the latest
> bootloader binary builds can be found under
> .  Are these
> considered "stable" despite being in the unstable "branch"?
> Which version is recommended at this stage?  The latest daily build
> (
> does not contain a uboot image.  The one from 20090419 does.
> Regards
> Bram Mertens

I tried using the

$ sudo dfu-util -a u-boot -R -D uboot.bin
dfu-util - (C) 2007-2008 by OpenMoko Inc.
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Opening USB Device 0x0000:0x0000...
Found Runtime: [0x1d50:0x5119] devnum=14, cfg=0, intf=0, alt=1, name="u-boot"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting ...
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 14
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
Transfer Size = 0x1000
Starting download:
state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
Resetting USB to switch back to runtime mode

While device was connected, I selected reboot option from the U-Boot menu.

Device powers down briefly, then displays the openmoko logo.  It sat
there doing nothing for a while so I unplugged the device. However the
openmoko logo remains on screen...

Is it supposed to take several minutes, it's been more than 15minutes already...

Should I reset the device?  Boot immediately to the NOR or NAND menu?

Thanks in advance.