[SHR] Miscellanious minor issues

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 29 09:45:38 CET 2009

Thanks, see below fro extra info

Joel Newkirk wrote:
> [...]
>> distributions holds a lot of potential. I completely understand that
>> this is an unstable distribution and it has an issue tracker (which I
>> use).
>>
>> Nevertheless, I hope you can answer the following some questions on some
>> issues, or at least I hope they can be input as a simple test report.
>> Excuse me if they contain trivial things or too well know issues:
>>
>> 1) One of the opkg repositories is non existing, so I disabled it for
>> now, see:
>> root at om-gta02 /etc/opkg $ cat armv4-feed.conf
>> #src/gz shr-armv4 http://shr.bearstech.com/shr-unstable/ipk//armv4
>>
>> Will this repo come on line or is it depreicated and should the
>> definition be removed from opkg configuration all together?
>>
>> 2) The repos have a lot of double slashes (//), see:
>> root at om-gta02 /etc/opkg $ grep \/\/ *
>> all-feed.conf:src/gz shr-all
>> http://shr.bearstech.com/shr-unstable/ipk//all
>> armv4-feed.conf:#src/gz shr-armv4
>> http://shr.bearstech.com/shr-unstable/ipk//armv4
>> armv4t-feed.conf:src/gz shr-armv4t
>> http://shr.bearstech.com/shr-unstable/ipk//armv4t
>> om-gta02-feed.conf:src/gz shr-om-gta02
>> http://shr.bearstech.com/shr-unstable/ipk//om-gta02
>>
>> Should these remain like this or is this a no-brainer?
>>
>> 3) Today (29 Jan 2009) I did an opkg update and opkg upgrade and Mofi
>> Wifi hangs when I run it, even before the menu comes up. Is this known?
>> What could be a fix? Will wicd be ported to SHR?
>>
>> 4) Sometimes the scroll bar on the left is gold (see contacts) and
>> sometimes it is black (see settings).
>>
>> 5) Can the vote plugin be installed inside of SHR Trac?
>>
>> 6) How do I have a virtual Illume keyboard popup for the terminal,
>> midori, pidgin?
>>
>> 7) Will the GPS get an icon which indicates if it is powered on, off,
>> and perhaps even the number of satellites it is receiving correctly.
>>
>> 8) Anyone have a howto, script or some code to the GRPS working?
>>
>> Thanks and keep up the good work,
>>
>> Pander
>
> 1 & 2 - if it works leave it be...  :)   Seriously, though: the
> double-slashes aren't an issue, and I presume the armv4 feed is the result
> of a typo since other feeds (OM as well as Angstrom) do not have such a
> version, but I could easily be wrong. :)
>
> 3 - What SHR version are you using?  Testing, Unstable or Unstable-lite?  I
> didn't think mofi was included in the Unstables, and haven't seen it in
> several weeks so am not able to comment on any problems with it.  But I CAN
> assure you that the difference between Testing (Christmastime release) and
> Unstable (couple days ago) is tremendous.  At this time, given that we all
> understand it's still in development, I have to recommend Unstable over
> Testing.  (that will change of course when the next semi-stable 'testing'
> release is made - but for now, the number and degree of improvements and
> fixes that are still not committed to Testing makes it less functional than

I'm using unstable with opkg upgrade. I also managed to hook up with
opkgorg repo and successfully installed eightball.

When you install wicd, you will not be asked to enter your PIN :(
Deinstalling wicd fixes this. Just today a fix was posted for wicd, it
seems the files are installed in python-2.6 in stead of python-2.5. Hope
the developers can have a go at it so wicd can replace Mofi.