Ideal screen rotation

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Nov 10 17:33:40 CET 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:11:40 +0000 Dave Ball <openmoko at underhand.org> said:

> Warren Baird wrote:
> > perhaps the landscape / portrait flag should just contrain the
> > rotation?   So if you flip the phone 180 degrees, you get the
> > 'expected' behaviour, but if you just flip it 90 degrees nothing changes?
>
> Given that these properties are for the orientation an application
> requests (to the WM) should ideally be used, I'm not sure how the actual
> rotation would help?  Working from rotation would also complicate the
> behaviour on devices that are normally landscape - such as the Nokia N900.
>
> What I'm suggesting is that the application just says "landscape" or
> "portrait", and then the WM would decide the most appropriate way to
> orient the screen for that device.
>
> If an application doesn't request either landscape or portrait, then the
> WM would rotate the screen according to the device orientation, through
> each of the positions the device could be held (including inverted).  So
> the WM definitely needs to know the actual orientation of the device
> (such as from the FSO api), but I think the application itself only
> needs to request Landscape, Portrait or neither.

you want a bitmask for 4 rotations as well as flips. why? because this is what
xrandr supports. you want to give a mask for which rotations the app "wants"
why do u need both 90 and 270 degrees for example?

look at a g1. u slide kbd open to one side of the screen. now imaging if u slid
the screen the other way you have a different button set along the other side.
eg a set of psp-style game-pad controllers for games. so games would request
270 and aps rthat are built for text input with hw kbd are 90. etc. etc.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com