[shr-u] wakeuptime, was Re: 2.6.31 is out, where is my ultimate kernel?

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 08:49:07 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 08:03:38AM +0200, Matthias Huber wrote:
> Paul Fertser schrieb:
> > Matthias Huber <matthias.huber at wollishausen.de> writes:
> >
> >> Paul Fertser schrieb:
> >>     What messages do you see with loglevel=4 that shouldn't be there? For
> >>     me normal suspend/resume doesn't add anything to console.

> >> i cannot tell exact, but i saw this messages.
> >> test it yourself.
> >>

> > I did. And sent some patches to the kernel to hide inappropriate
> > messages, they were applied long time ago. Currently i don't see any
> > single message on boot (if g_ether is compiled in) and no single
> > message on suspend/resume (if everything is working properly).
> >
> hmmm, now we have to define over what we are talking,.
> i mean: Linux om-gta02 2.6.29-rc3 #1 PREEMPT Tue Sep 1 23:03:59 CEST
> 2009 armv4tl unknown

Yes, Sep 1 is modern enough.

> where does a normal user get g_ether compiled in, when he uses the
> standard shr-u - kernel ?

With g_ether not compiled in i see only 4 messages on boot and i'm sure
they can't slow down the boot considerably.

> i will return later with exact messages on suspend/resume. dont have
> time now.
> but maybe this is g_ether.

Nah, it doesn't print anything on suspend/resume.

> ... if nothing else then loglevel=0 will solve this, i will make it zero.

Go ahead, but i very much hope you wouldn't be able to convince anybody to
make it default.

> >> and speed is also bootup-speed, (althoug this wasn't the trhread)
> >> where i see a lot of for an non-kernel-developer sensless messages,
> >> wich nobody cant read without a magnifying glass.
> >>

> > I can read messages on LCM without a magnifying glass, so "nobody" is
> > obviously a little bit inaccurate here.
> >

> what do you mean with LCM ?
> On moko, i cant read this. its too small for me.

LCM is LCD module (because it's not only LCD but also backlight and
touchscreen bundled together)

You != everybody

> is this exact enough for you ? but please don't say, it's unsharp :-))

I won't. 285 dpi that our displays have can't be unsharp.

> >> for me, who is/must/wants use this phone as daily phone totally
> >> senseless.
> >>

> > I do use my gta02 as my only cell phone since November.
> >
> > And i think that if some messages have inappropriate loglevels, that
> > should be fixed in kernel instead of hiding them.
> >

> with that, i agree, although my knoledge of linux says me, that, with
> any loglevel > 0 you will get some output at all.

Somehow i do not (except when something is going wrong, but it happens only
once, after that the messages don't take time to be outputted, because no
scrolling is involved).

So i'm waiting for something that can in fact help to find and fix the
messages in case they're really inappropriate.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com