mplayer?

David Garabana Barro david at garabana.com
Fri Sep 18 12:59:37 CEST 2009

On Friday 18 September 2009 11:51:44 Robin Paulson wrote:

> i wouldn't say featureless, exactly....

It depends on what features you know about/need ;)

Comparing with btrfs [1], with ext2/3 (and the upcoming ext4 [2], which is not
more than another patch over ext2) you can't do:

- object level data mirroring
- Subvolumes and snapshots
- fs level raid
- online fsck
- fsck 1 TB filesystem on less than a couple of days ;)
- Never run out of inodes. ext4 still (we're on 2009!) suffers from this one :(
- Online FS growth and shrinking
- FS level compression
- Online defrag (*)
- Tail packing (*)
- And much more

(*) also supported by ext4, but not ext2/3

Although many of that features are useles for devices like Freerunner, some
other would make a difference: dynamic inode allocation, tail packing, fast
and online fsck...
And reiserfs is the closest to btrfs we have on OM kernel :)

What is true is that kernel developers are making clear that ext4 is not "the
future fs", but "the interim fs until btrfs makes stable"

> anyway, how would i go about changing to something more modern? say
> ext4 or btrfs?
>
> is possible without a format/reinstall?

Yes, it's possible
From ext3 to ext4: [3]