QtMoko: how is long Power key press (=> shutdown/restart menu) handled?

robin spielraum at web.de
Sat Dec 1 23:41:41 CET 2012

Neil Jerram <neil <at> ossau.homelinux.net> writes:

> robin <spielraum <at> web.de> writes:
>
> > this would be nice to know so maybe something like
> >
> > short press  -> suspend
>
> We already have the lock icon for lock and suspend, so I'm not sure why
> we need this on the power key as well.
>
> Perhaps because you're thinking of wanting to suspend when looking at
> some application, and aren't on the home page?
>
> > medium press -> ??? eg favourite program
> > long press   -> shutdown/menu
>
> Those are what we already have.
>
> Personally I'm not sure I could reliably distinguish between 3 press
> lengths...
>
>      Neil

I quite like being able to bring the phone back from suspend with a quick
press on the powerbutton, checking what time it is and then sending it back
to suspend with another quick press on the power button (but this is the
standard way qtmoko does it if I am not being mistaken, or in which state
does qtmoko turn if I just do a quick press on the power button; I thought
it goes to suspend?!?).
As the freerunner has only two hardware buttons and the aux button is
reported to break sometimes, it might be a good idea to have three press
duration specific settings for the power button. One idea could also be
to have something like this as standard:

a) <1s     -> suspend
b) >1s <4s -> show shutdown/reboot dialog
c) >4s     -> show shutdown/reboot dialog

and this behaviour being read from a text config file. so anyone who needs
the b) slot to do something differently could just change it to fit his/her
needs.

best regards

robin