QtMoko: how is long Power key press (=> shutdown/restart menu) handled?

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sun Dec 2 12:44:31 CET 2012

robin <spielraum at web.de> writes:

> I quite like being able to bring the phone back from suspend with a quick
> press on the powerbutton, checking what time it is and then sending it back
> to suspend with another quick press on the power button (but this is the
> standard way qtmoko does it if I am not being mistaken, or in which state
> does qtmoko turn if I just do a quick press on the power button; I thought
> it goes to suspend?!?).
> As the freerunner has only two hardware buttons and the aux button is
> reported to break sometimes, it might be a good idea to have three press
> duration specific settings for the power button. One idea could also be
> to have something like this as standard:
>
> a) <1s     -> suspend
> b) >1s <4s -> show shutdown/reboot dialog
> c) >4s     -> show shutdown/reboot dialog
>
> and this behaviour being read from a text config file. so anyone who needs
> the b) slot to do something differently could just change it to fit his/her
> needs.

I think that's a bit complex, and 4s is a long time to press a button
for any requirement.  Also I doubt that the infrastructure supports 2
different long key press times - at the moment the config file has
"PressedAction" fields and "HeldAction" fields, and there's no apparent
way to specify 2 difference hold times.

My preference would be:

a) Power key pressed -> show Home page

b) Power key held -> show shutdown/reboot dialog

c) Change the Star icon on the Home page so that it does what a Power
key press currently does: i.e. it brings up a page with Favorites,
Recent, Frequent and Running tabs, instead of just the Favorites page.

This is because when I use the Power key, it's almost always because I
want to go back to the Home page in order to do some new thing (while
the application that I was in still running).

Then we'd have:

- for quick suspend: Power key, Lock icon

- for Home page: Power key

- for Favorites: Power key, Star icon

- for running programs: Power key, Star icon, Running tab.

Thoughts?

       Neil