[RFC] What is buildhost

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.com
Wed May 14 08:54:54 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:09:23AM +0100, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> Hi, time to bother you again.
>
> But our admin team have pointed out that we are filling the disk on
> buildhost very fast. But something we seem to lack for buildhost are
> any policies on how it should be used. I am loath to demand a bigger
> machine from admin guys until we have it decided how we actually want
> to use buildhost going into the future.
>
> So my opinions.
>
> 1) Buildhost is for building our official feeds and images.
> 2) Buildhost is not a debugging environment.
> 3) Due to 2) rm_work can be used.
> 4) We shouldnt expose the build tree as is public, it just causes
> confusion like the .summary one.
> 5) Most builds should be incremental with maybe once a week/month a
> clean of tmp/ is done. With Holgers changes to PERSISTANT_CACHE we
> no longer lose git SRCREV increments.
>
> But these are just my opinions. Hence why I send an RFC so distro team
> can choose best policies going forward.
>
> Graeme

my opinions:

we should prefer saving developers' time over saving disk space.
so, we leave the workdir as is for easier on spot debugging.

my proposal:

1) we don't use rm_work
2) we start from scratch once a month while keeping the old deploy dir.
3) given the current hardware of buildhost, we do incremental build.
4) we expose only the deploy dir
5) we delete old images under deploy/.../images/neo1973 or move them to
   somewhere like 'deploy/.../images/neo1973/morgue'.

I think we can still keep the storage usage at a reasonable size this
way.

Regards,
John