[gta02-core] schematics symbol and drawing style

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 19 02:06:01 CEST 2009

Rene Harder wrote:
> What standard do we use for drawing (e.g. common symbols and style),
> IEC, ANSI etc.?

I normally use the choices KiCad comes with. So that is the "European"
resistor and the triangle for ground. The polarized capacitor (CP) is
butt-ugly, doesn't look like anything I've seen anywhere else, and
it's only laziness that has prevented me from changing it.

Openmoko used the US style quite consistently. I'm fine with that. I
also don't mind the European style, but I would change the resistor
to not contain the value inside the symbol, because this often makes
it hard to read.

> The other one is the sheet size,

It seems that we all agree that A3 is okay and makes things
considerably easier. I don't think we really need to use different
sheet sizes - if A3 works for the complex parts, it'll also work for
the simpler ones.

> I really like the idea of avoiding these "evil" cross-shaped junctions.
> Sometimes, it's a pain to see if there is a connection between them or not.

Yeah, pretty much all sources that talk about design principles for
schematics make that point as well.