Dialer re-organisation

Joshua Layne joshua at willowisp.net
Wed Oct 31 20:40:34 CET 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:14:37 +0100, Benjamin Weber <benny at builtin.de>
wrote:
> Hey,
>
> concerning the input methods you should take a look at
> http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/finger-keyboard/
> (and of course http://projects.openmoko.org/forum/?group_id=42)
>
> Try it out and please contribute with this project!

I will, just as soon as they release the GTA02 - I don't have hardware
right now. and predictive text entry using a mouse in qemu seems like it
would be less than satisfying.

> And concerning T9: it is patented and there is no solution to use that.

that's why I said "non-T9" in my email - there are other predictive text
entry methods using a numeric keypad, T9 is only one of them.

> There are a lot of other interesting input methods which are better and
> faster. Search for videos on youtube :).
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Input_Method
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wishlist:Text_Input

I've reviewed most of these already and I do not dispute that they may be
objectively better, but if we want to draw in the "crossover text'r" (aka
Akiko: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Personas) I believe that we need to
supply a ~familiar interface for their favorite activity.

thanks for the links.
j.