Translators needed?

F Wolff friedel at translate.org.za
Thu Feb 1 09:28:13 CET 2007

On Wo, 2007-01-31 at 19:47 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> José (and all other translation volunteers):
>
> Thanks for your offer, we definitely can benefit from you.
> Unfortunately, we didn't settle on a translation infrastructure yet,
> so I can't recommend what to look into.
>
> What would you guys prefer? GNU Gettext or something else?

Gettext is already packaged for openembedded [1], although the newest
version is 0.16.1.  Of course, GTK+ and many other programs people might
want to port already uses gettext, so I think it is a natural choice.
Build support for the gettext way is well established, etc.  There is a
choice of software available for people to work with PO files on most
major platforms, and several converters for people that prefer other
formats, or to convert other formats to PO.[2][3]

1:
http://www.openembedded.org/filebrowser/org.openembedded.packaged-staging/packages/gettext
2:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/index#converters