Asterisk on Openmoko

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Mar 30 21:25:52 CEST 2007

Harald Welte <laforge at openmoko.org> writes:
> I agree.  Please also keep in mind that asterisk is anything but
> suitable for mobile, slow-cpu, low-memory devices with no FPU.
>
> I'd expect stuff like transcoding, echo cancellation, dtmf detection,
> etc. are going to take ages - if they can at all be done in realtime
> without proper fixed point arithmetic implementation.
>
> I'd also say that something like a SIP softphone is probably what you
> want.  or even less than that: emulate a headset via bluetooth, i.e.
> have the neo act as a headset device for your PC based softphone
> application.

I agree that it might not be practical in this generation of phone for
lack of CPU and proper networking hardware, but I will say that doing
proper a VOIP phone in a future device will be important. You could
switch from cellular to VOIP whenever you got to a friendly 802.11
network. I see that as a major potential application. Add an Asterisk
server somewhere that gets signaled by the phone whether to forward
your incoming number to the cellphone network or to VOIP and the world
would be a pleasant place indeed...

Perry