Packaging third-party applications (Was: Meta Toolchain Release (2008 May))

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Thu May 29 02:49:15 CEST 2008

Pranav Desai wrote:
>> But that brings another question (which probably needs another thread),
>> where do we store/host the ported apps if we have some?
>> * Can we put it somewhere on downloads.openmoko.org
>> <http://downloads.openmoko.org>
>> * Should we create another project on project.openmoko.org
>> <http://project.openmoko.org>.
>> * Or do we put the responsibility on whoever ported it, to host the app.

The usual way is to add the package to OpenEmbedded, and then add it's
name to the task-openmoko-feed.bb recipe so that it automatically gets
built, packaged and deployed to the official download site.

Packaging and publishing random applications here, there and everywhere
is just going to fragment the set of applications available to users.

Also, I am much more likely to trust a package recipe that I can build
and install myself using OpenEmbedded (or download from an official site
where the package has been built from source by a trusted autobuild
system), rather than downloading some unknown, possibly virus-tainted
binary package from some random site ...

-- Rod