Packaging third-party applications (Was: Meta Toolchain Release (2008 May))

Pranav Desai pranavadesai at gmail.com
Fri May 30 04:26:21 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au> wrote:

> Pranav Desai wrote:
>
>> But that brings another question (which probably needs another thread),
>>> where do we store/host the ported apps if we have some?
>>> * Can we put it somewhere on downloads.openmoko.org <
>>> http://downloads.openmoko.org>
>>> * Should we create another project on project.openmoko.org <
>>> http://project.openmoko.org>.
>>> * Or do we put the responsibility on whoever ported it, to host the app.
>>>

> The usual way is to add the package to OpenEmbedded, and then add it's name
> to the task-openmoko-feed.bb recipe so that it automatically gets built,
> packaged and deployed to the official download site.

But wouldn't that mean writing a recipe for all packages that we want to
add? Many third party apps already have a makefile setup, why do you want to
change that ? Especially, if they can be build easily enough with the
toolchain.

> Packaging and publishing random applications here, there and everywhere is
> just going to fragment the set of applications available to users.

Thats not going to stop anyway, but if we have a central place where people
can put their packages, maybe it can be reduced.