GPS for 911 calls

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 7 10:35:52 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:59:14AM -0700, Michael Welter wrote:
> What is the protocol for sending the GPS coordinates to the 911 dispatcher?

I am not aware that GSM carriers in the US use GPS at all.  To the best
of my knowledge, only CDMA carriers do.

In the Neo1973 we don't have any such facility or protocol.  And to be
honest: I'm more than happy about that, for data protection reasons.

Unless such a feature is configurable by the user, it would cause
exactly this "out of control" situation that is predominant due to the
traditional close cooperation between operators and device
manufacturers.

Our user has to be in control whether GSM and/or GPS are switched on, or
are allowed to talk to the network or not.