Proposal: Personal Data Encryption (maybe SoC?)

Jim McDonald Jim at mcdee.net
Tue Mar 20 09:39:15 CET 2007

Tim Newsom wrote:
> The best part is that if you don't want it, you don't use it.  And
> those that do want it, can use it and its all completley transparent
> to the applications.
But not at all transparent to the end user.  Again assuming that there
is some sort of key caching going on, what is the real consumer benefit
to having multiple ways of categorising data to different levels of
security versus having a simple "protect my data against unauthorised
access" checkbox somewhere that blanket-enables encryption?

(Alternatively there could be some way in which these configuration
settings are pluggable and people with the more complex requirements
could download the advanced settings plugin and leave normal users with
a simple yes/no choice.)
> --Tim

Cheers,
Jim.