tomtom on the Neo1973

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 16:01:28 CEST 2007

On 3/31/07, Patrick Beck <beck-patrick at web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i follow the deployment of the Neo1973 and Openmoko since they become
> public.
>
> I have discussed with a few others on the IRC, about the Idea to use
> tomtom on the Neo1973. I think it will be very cool :) I had no problem
> to pay money for a good software and rich in detail maps. It is hard
> work to create good maps (see http://www.openstreetmap.org).

Therefore I would like to support openstreetmap.org

When many people want to use tomtom on the Neo1973, it would be a good
> precondition to assure tomtom from this idea to sell tomtom for the
> Openmoko platform. tomtom devices already run under linux, so i think it
> will not so hard to port it on Openmoko.

I think tomtom should be optional in addition to openstreetmap.
Openstreetmap should not be replaced, and it should be easy to update
openstreetmap. We could make some nice UI for that. But people have
different needs; and for those that need detailed maps and can afford it,
maybe tomtom is better.