Size and weight considerations for future Openmoko devices

Sven Neuhaus sven-openmoko at sven.de
Thu May 3 11:15:03 CEST 2007

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
> Sven Neuhaus wrote:
>> here's the size and weight of a few touchscreen mobile phones:
>
>>               Neo1973  iPhone   M600i   LG Prada
>> length (mm)   120.7    115      107     98.8
>> width         62       61       57      54
>> height        18.5     11.6     15      12
>> weight (g)    184      135      112     85
>> screen (inch) 2.8      3.5      2.6     3.0
>
> It's a smartphone, so let's compare it to smartphones:
> Nokia 9500:               56.9mm x 148.1mm x 23.9mm 229.9g
> T-mobile Vario II:        58.0mm x 113.0mm x 22.0mm 160.0g
> Nokia E61                 69.7mm x 117.0mm x 14.0mm 144.0g

I wouldn't compare the Neo1973 to these three phones because they have large
keyboards which is why they are so heavy. But isn't the Vario II 176g?

> T-mobile MDA compact III: 58.0mm x 108.0mm x 17.0mm 127.0g

That one is a case in point: It's a lot lighter and somewhat smaller.

> Sorry, that doesn't look that bad to me. Actually, these are all devices
> without GPS, OTOH, they do have a better GSM/UMTS module.

> Btw, no matter how it's discussed, the iPhone is not a smartphone, it
> misses the category defining extensibility.

AFAIK you can install new applications on it as long as they are approved by
Apple. Sounds like a smartphone to me, albeit with limitations. I don't see
how this has anything to do with its size and weight though. Apple could
theoretically change a few bits in the software and this limitation would be
gone without increasing the size or weight of the phone.

> And when we are at the topic
> of the iPhone. It's technically even more vaporware then Neo => it's
> just announced, ...

Journalists already played with prototype units. Sounds like its in the same
stage as the Neo1973.

Marcin Juszkiewicz brought up the HTC Artemis which is also a lot lighter
and got flamed because it runs Windows Mobile. I don't see how this is
relevant to this discussion. The OS doesn't make a phone thicker or heavier
- remember, originally the Neo1973 was also capable of running Windows.

All I'm saying is that the Neo1973 is awfully thick and heavy and I'm asking
FIC to please consider making a thinner and lighter phone soon. We all want
OpenMoko to succeed - I am sure there is a significant amount of people who
will not buy this phone because it's just too bulky for them.

Regards,
-Sven Neuhaus