Lack of 3G a killer for Australia

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sat Aug 2 01:52:34 CEST 2008

Dale Maggee wrote:
> In reality, the GSM network in Australia has ample coverage. Blanket
> statements like 'the FreeRunner will not function well as a phone in
> Australia' are patently incorrect.

I would agree. Qtopia for the Neo is developed here in Australia!

> please provide some evidence as to where 'service is declining badly',
> I've *never* heard a story of GSM coverage shrinking, and I know
> multiple people at Telstra.

and several at Trolltech ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HNokia. :)

>  >I've had to get a 3G handset and carrier just to get consistent phone
> reception in my unit and
>  >I know several people who've had to do the same thing.
>
> Where are you? What GSM carrier are/were you using? what model phone?
> does your building happen to be lead-lined? I find this difficult to
> believe, unless you're somewhere rather remote.

Optus, Virgin(which uses Optus network), Telstra all work well here. In
fact we developed Qtopia using these networks for years.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company