2008 WTF??

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Sat Aug 9 18:11:11 CEST 2008

Scott wrote:

> Booting up...  Could it be any more confusing??  First the OM screen,
> then the standard linux text scrolling, then the boots, then blank, then
> the boots again, then some more text, then blank again???  WTF over?
> Can't we have just one damn boot screen?

The first one ("OM screen") lives in a dedicated flash partition and is
loaded by u-boot. It could be updated by the opkg that is responsible
for the other splash screen, in the same way that the kernel opkg will
re-flash the kernel partition when it is updated. This might be a good
project for one of the community members (hint, hint).

It should be possible to hide the linux text scrolling - OpenSuSE (for
example) does it, but I don't know the details. I personally like to see
the penguin and the Linux messages.

AFAIK the remaining issues are because the splash-screen starts out by
using the raw framebuffer, and then later X11 is started. I don't know
what room for improvement there is in this area - maybe someone else can
comment.