The "clean" font family

Dale Schumacher dale.schumacher at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 21:24:17 CEST 2008

You may find it interesting to examine the "clean" font family, in the X11
core distribution.  It contains around 30 fonts in fixed-pitch pixel cells
ranging from 4x6 to 8x16 and 9x15.  A few sizes (esp. 8px width) include
bold weights and there are even a couple of italics.  Just fire up an xterm
with the font of your choice and see how it looks, but do note that the
automatic "smear bolding" does not produce good results.

The 4x6 font uses a 3x5 pixel character cell, reserving a single pixel each
for inter-line and inter-character spacing.  The glyphs are all unique, for
the 7-bit ASCII range.  A number of optical illusions make it possible to
read text at this size.  Your brain actually pattern-matches on the shape of
the words.  Larger fonts are always easier to read.  This font essentially
represents the limit of legibility for bitmapped fonts.

Still, I do not recommend using the 4x6 at ~300dpi.  It was designed for
~75dpi.  The whole point of reaching the 250dpi+ range is that the
individual pixels SHOULD become indistinguishable, leading to a
qualitatively different visual experience.  This is similar to the smooth
color rendition we get with CMYK half-toned dots in a magazine.