Free Runner price vs iphone 3G price - Things clear

ramsesoriginal ramsesoriginal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 02:47:16 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Robert Taylor
<subscribers at tinsputnik.com> wrote:
> Jorge . wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This post is going further my expectations :) so, lets put the things in order:
>>
> Okay.
>> 1) FreeRunner and its freedom is the best, so we dont need an argue about the good reasons to buy one :)
>>
> Right!
>> 2) In countries where you have to sign a two year contract, the iPhone 3G will be more expensive at the end, but this is not the situation of everyone.
>>
> Not true, the iphone is subsidized the moko isn't.  If the moko was
> subsidized it would be free.  This is TRUE FOR EVERYONE.
>> 3) Apple will say all time that you will have to sign a contract to get an iPhone, but in the reality they do nothing to stop people unlocking phones and selling them without AT&T contracts around the world (check ebay before telling again you have to sign a contract!!!), because they get money for that phones anyway. So I expect iPhones 3G being sold for $199 USD without any contract around the world, and for most people does not matter if this is legal or not.
>>
> Again, not true.  On the new Iphones, you HAVETO get a 2 year contract.
> If you decide to quit you will pay a fee that will total up greater than
> the $600 the phone is worth.

I am sorry for contraddicting, but you can get jailbraked iPhones for
around 200$,and the firmware of the 2.0 is already jailbraked since
some time, and even futher, some people are already trying to compil
linux for the iPhone 2.0.

> If you want to go ahead and throw away $600 bucks at the break of a
> contract and sell it on ebay go ahead.  Just stop posting nonsense.
>> 4) FreeRunner is a product, and need sales to survive. I will buy a Freerunner instead an iPhone because i want a free phone, but many people would prefer to buy an unlocked-hacked-nocontract iPhone on ebay for $199 than an OpenMoko for $399. am I clear enough?
>>
> Not  clear at all.  If you were there would be no thread.  If you want
> to compare apples to apples, compare a subsidized iphone to a subsized
> moko, or unsubsidized iphone to an unsubsidized moko.
>
> There is NO POSSIBILITY of exception to this.  Just because a moko is
> not available as a subsidized device right now is irrelevant as its not
> available on the market.  More to the point the new iphone isn't
> available yet, just pricing.
>> furthermore the freedom, there is a war for the smartphones market and a freephone have to be competitive  in price, not only in quality and philosophy.
>>
> This is only true if you do what you are insisting on doing, comparing
> things that are not of equal value.  While it is fine for consumers to
> be ignorant of these facts and actually think your argument is valid,
> it's not correct on this thread as you are clearly educated and
> understand the reality of the situation.
>
> Just compare equal things and stop posting flawed arguments and there is
> no thread.
>>
>> Best wishes

George Burns  - "You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."