clarification of Qtopia Vs. GTK

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Fri May 23 11:05:44 CEST 2008

Michael Shiloh wrote:
>     * Switches the Window Manager from Matchbox to Enlightenment (E17)
Nice.
>     * Ported Qtopia to Xorg, so it is possible to run Qtopia, GTK, ELF,
> and Python applications all at the same time
Really nice.
>     * Replaced the GTK-based basic phone suite (dialer, contacts, SMS)
> with ones based on Qtopia

Why that? The old apps wheren't so bad. They even started to work in the
last versions. :-)
I liked the style, i liked the architecture. I can not really believe
that anyone would like to throw that all away.
Not mentioning that we walk on somewhat beaten tracks there. We hat more
or less the same technology there as Maemo (Nokia) and Ubuntu mobile.
And GPE fitted well too.

I hate the Qtopia stuff. It makes a good software for classic mobile
handsets. But nothing innovative. Just another mobile phone gui like all
the others we have seen so far.
It probably works well. But it is plainly boring. :-/

Will a 'new-world' Neo look anything like what i am used to right now?
Or what will it look like anyway?
Can i test the new stuff on my neo1973?
The last build i checked was all 'classic' stuff.

Maybe i like it, after i used it... :)

Regards
  Tilman