The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL

Lally Singh lally.singh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 00:09:58 CET 2008

The biggest usability issue with the graphical performance on the Moko
is scrolling/clipping graphics.

If we had the ability to upload an image to the glamo, clip it, and
then pan it in the clip rectangle, a lot of the perceived slowness
wouldn't be a problem.   As long as the controls were visually
responsive, they can have old state.  People can manage with controls
that show old data, as long as they respond when you interact with
them.

A few custom GTK widgets that manage the glamo for this sort of thing
(e.g. the large scroll window for applications, etc) would likely
result in worlds of improvement.

.. or, something fancier... but I think this'd be a great step forward.

-ls

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Riccardo Centra <hiretto at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/11/14 Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at openmoko.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Openmoko actually has learnt a lot from this. First we have learnt to
>> > not trust high-level promises as much as before.
>> > In fact I would go as far as saying that going forward, we will not
>> > trust any promises about 'we will open this up later' anymore.
>> > Either it's open and documented at the time we make the decision to
>> > use those chips, or we look elsewhere.
>> > I believe that's what our customers want.
>>
>> Agreed, and awesome.
>>
>> > We have a long way to go to come out with kick-ass open phone
>> > hardware, but if our community doesn't loose faith and continues to do
>> > development together with us, we'll get there. The momentum we have
>> > built with the Freerunner is awesome. Please continue to buy
>> > Freerunners and to develop for it, same is happening internally. The
>> > next phones will build on top of the free platform we have built
>> > together, the technology investment will carry over.
>>
>> *crosses fingers and hopes*
>>
>> > Having said that, if someone wants to seriously develop for the glamo,
>> > please get in touch with me and we will find a legally correct way to
>> > extend the smedia documentation to you.
>> > In fact we have done that in a few cases before already, but I'm not
>> > sure how much actual codes have come out of that. I think very
>> > little ;-)
>> > So we need some really serious coders that don't mind a tough challenge.
>>
>> I am not a skilled developer, but I would be more than happy to
>> organize, and participate in a traditional clean room
>> re-implementation of the documentation.
>>
>> As a GTA02 owner, as a founding member of the Open Graphics Project,
>> as a Director of the Open Hardware Foundation, I believe I have the
>> resources to accomplish such a task.
>>
>> I'd love to try.
>>
>> Can we make it happen?
>>
>> --tim