Survey about the Touchscreen

Anton Persson don.juanton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 08:49:26 CET 2008

Hi,

I think this is the best argument for the need of a precision stylus yet.

However, as I see it, if you make this argument it means that you want
a phone that works just like your desktop computer, but which you can
carry along easily.. Maybe an EeePC is better suited?

The current OpenMoko compromise is not suitable for running a spreadsheet
application or a word processor. If you want those applications then you
need to have some sort of keyboard. When the Ilume keyboard is active
you only have perhaps 60% left of the screen. That means your application
only have _half_ a VGA display. This practically eliminates the pro that
people
here have been bringing up, the full VGA display. Then add the fact that
using the Ilume keyboard with a spreadsheet is, well, daunting. I can't
imagine the pain
I would feel if I had to go through that ordeal.

So yes, the current situation makes it easy to _run_ ye old' X applications
we all love on the desktop... But _using_ them in this setup.. I don't think
so.

If you think I'm wrong, could you please tell me in which situations you
really
could use application X or Y on your OpenMoko? And I mean in a situation
where you would not have easy access to your EeePC in your back-pack.

On the other hand, if you add a multi touch capable LCD panel, then you
would
enable software developers like myself to develop a whole range of new
applications that are _not_ possible on a desktop or on the current
OpenMoko...
Applications that you will never see on the current OpenMoko.

(I'm still not ruling out the possibility of a multi touch enabled resistive
screen,
but I never heard of such a thing...)

    Best regards
       Anton Persson