``Freerunner reliable and stable''?!

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Oct 26 11:19:22 CET 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:40:00AM +0000, Ole Kliemann wrote:
> Hi to everyone.
>
> I already posted my point in an earlier discussion but didn't get much
> of a reaction. The original post was this[1]. I will shortly reproduce
> my main point here:
>
> Me as well as several others - as I read here on the lists - have bought
> our FR when it was released somehow expecting it being consumer-ready.
> It was the general notion that GTA01 was for developers, GTA02 for
> end-user.
>
> I certainly can be blamed for not gathering enough information before
> buying an FR. But then again if you just look at openmoko.com, you get a
> lot of fancy design but not one hint that the FR is not ready for
> everyday use. Instead I read:
>
> ``If you plan on using your FreeRunner for everyday use, then we would
> recommend Qtopia. While it doesn't utilize all the the new hardware
> features of the phone, it is reliable and stable.''
>
> Which is simply not true. Qtopia of course suffers from the same
> hardware and kernel issues as just any other distro.
>
> So my question to OM is: Why does openmoko.com not explicitly give a
> warning concerning the current state of maturity of both the hardware
> and the software? (As it was btw. the case with GTA01. There was a big
> warning.)
>
> Ole
>
> [1] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-October/032531.html

Hi,

A lot of mistakes were made, but right now we got the only Free Software
phone in the market.

What OpenMoko needs is our help fixing what we can do, while they
concentrate on fixing what only they can fix (like hardware related
software which only has NDA-locked documentation).

Right now a lot of positive action is needed. If OpenMoko "dies" the
hardware problems will NEVER be fixed, and the Free Software phone fails
totally (Google Android is fake Free Software if you don't have phones
into which you can exercise your rightful freedoms because they are
locked with DRM, as is the HTC G1).

Best,
Rui

--
Or not.
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 7th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?