Multi Wireless networks

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Tue Oct 28 02:27:42 CET 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:35:28 -0400, Stefan Monnier
<monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>> Network that i and well , my FR are in are very different , some of
them
>>> do ran DHCP and most of them not , how can i assign static ip address
>>> static essids ?
>> I'm asking that too, can it be done in /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> You can do it with wpa-supplicant.  The way to use it is described on
> Debian in /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.Debian.gz.  The Om
> networking setup seems strongly influenced by Debian, so that same
> config might be usable there, although IIRC the Om2008.9 install seems
> to lack some of the necessary scripts (at least /sbin/wpa_action), tho
> you might be able to simply copy them from a Debian install.
>

>         Stefan

'man wpa_action' gives a hint as well:

       An example wpa_supplicant.conf configured to roam between 3
different networks:

              network={
                   ssid="foo"
                   id_str="uni"
                   key_mgmt=NONE
              }

              network={
                   ssid="bar"
                   id_str="home_static"
                   psk=123456789...
              }

              network={
                   ssid=""
                   key_mgmt=NONE
              }

       The  corresponding interfaces file would contain LOGICAL interfaces,
that correlate to each unique ’id_str’ provided by the configuration
file:

              iface eth1 inet manual
                   wpa-driver wext
                   wpa-roam /path/to/wpa_supplicant.conf