Sean's speech at ESC about making a 3G device

Justyn Butler justynbutler+openmoko at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 2 20:10:00 CEST 2009

2009/4/2 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>:
> I bought the OpenMoko to get a more Free Software phone, not one that
> gets less and less Free as new devices come up :)

Well due to the expense it is clear that no 3G device is going to be
Openmoko's main phone for a long time. No one is going to stop anyone
buying a non-3G Openmoko phone.

What this is suggesting, I suppose, is a 3G derivative if there was
serious demand (or should I say, concrete demand in the form of a
large order. I personally demand it quite seriously!).
While it is a shame that the 3G part would be closed, it would clearly
be a legal necessity. It would be that or no 3G version at all.

> I seriously hope GTA3 fixes some of the most serious problems GTA2 had
> regarding that.

I guess you mean the Glamo and that kind of thing.
The GSM firmware cannot become open source, can it?