sunlight readable LCD

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at gstaedtner.net
Wed Apr 15 19:33:26 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Joseph Reeves wrote on his blog about a bicycle app for the Neo [1].
>
> I have always wanted to add cycling / sports functions to tangoGPS but
> as the LCD is mostly unreadable in sunlight I felt there is little use.
> After trying it a couple of times on my bike I soon started to leave
> the Neo at home.
>
> So I wonder about three things for better outdoor use:
>
> 1) How many of you would be interested in the following hardware
> mods:
>  * sunlight readable LCD
>  * bigger LCD 3,5"+
>  * new ruggedized case or rubber shell (including a mean to nicely fix
> in on a bike?)
>  * waterproof (substaintially more costs)
>
> 2) How much money would you spend on it? To give you an idea: the PSP
> display with touchscreen can be bought on ebay for ~25$. A case may be
> ~20-30$ for volumes of 100+.
>
> 3) Last question: are there hardware people interested in
> this?
>
> Please reply here on list with your interest!

If you're looking for _the perfect_ LCD for this job, have a look on
the Boe Hydis HVT43WV1.
4.3" WVGA with probably the best sunlight-readability you can get on a
colored screen.

Some ThinkPad X200 Tablets have similar AFFS+ screens of the same
manufacturer if you want to see it in action.

However - I have no idea if it would be possible to connect it to the
Glamo. If the resolution is too high, there are also 4" with WQVGA
available.
Also, I don't know if it is possible to get this devices in packages
with less than 100 units.