[Qtei] Which IDE for Development?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Wed Apr 22 00:08:44 CEST 2009

Roland wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to get a little more involved in development for Qtei. Especially
> after Franky's cry for help. Franky: I have to agree with Leonardo - great
> work! To you and everybody else working on Qtei - I'm really impressed with
> the improvements in the last months.
> So why am I writing this mail...
> I have downloaded the sources of Qtextended and also built it a couple of
> times. I also did a checkout of the new git repository and that worked for
> me as well. But any changes I made I had to type into a plain text editor
> and that is kind of annoying.
>
> Is there any IDE one can use for the development?

You can try the kdevelop out of the neo vmware sdk. There are some scripts in there to use to help,
although it is not totally integrated.
You can use QtCreator to edit, but again, it's not integrated and it knows nothing about qbuild,
same as KDevelop.

Qtopia/Qt Extended development was always using an editor, a console and maybe designer.

> Coming from software development with Qt Desktop I think I would be able to
> contribute, but working with a normal editor is not really fun.
>
> Also: Is there a way to debug the newly written applications?

gdb, or kdbg. Again there is helper scripts and stuff in the sdk.

> I am willing to install any Linux distribution and any package needed for
> development - but I have to admit I don't have a clue what to install.

Needs vmplayer (or virtualbox)
http://qtextended.org/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=78