[omgps] collect feature requests

mqy meng.qingyou at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:53:07 CEST 2009

> On GTA02 ogpsd uses UBX only (no NMEA) so the only overhead compared to
> omgps would be that the parsing is implemented in python.

I'm sorry that I said ogpsd uses NMEA :(

omgps talks with ogpsd (gypsy service) through dbus APIs, so another
overhead is delivering of dbus signals.
As of my test, the approximate overhead is over 5% (CPU usage).

> Do you think that your UBX parser code is ready to replace the python
> parser? If yes, then there wouldn't be any problems anymore with using
> ogpsd (currently performace/battery usage).

No. The Gypsy service good for most users who want to get just data such as
lat/lon.
Fso-framework manages GPS device, it is not easy to write another working
parser (data provider). UBX binary is preferred by omgps because I want full
control.