using a FreeRunner without cellular service

Brolin Empey brolin at brolin.be
Fri Jul 17 00:42:47 CEST 2009

I have at least 2 more reasons to replace my Nokia 6103b:

   1. Without a SIM installed, it can be used only for emergency calls.
   This is very lame because it has many non-phone functions, such as the
   Organiser.
   2. It lacks flight mode.

This page says later 6xxx models have these features, though:

<http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/mobilephones/0,39050603,39311153-2,00.htm>

The article is about phones for the Asian market, but I guess it applies to
the same model of phones for the North American market too.

To be realistic, limitation #1 is minor because I have a SIM and can leave
it installed because I receive very few incoming calls: I often have no
incoming calls during the entire part of the day during which I have the
phone on, which often includes when I am sleeping at night because I forget
to turn off my phone before going to bed.

Limitation #2 is minor too because I rarely travel by air, but it is still a
common feature my phone lacks.

Anyway, does the FreeRunner have a flight mode?  I guess it depends on which
distro I use.  I also guess I do not need a flight mode if I can still use
the FreeRunner without a SIM installed?