Anti-Whining: Happy Moko Moments - playing Ogg Vorbis files

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sun Jul 19 21:55:22 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:21:24PM +0300, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:

> ivorbisfile_example < foo.ogg | aplay -t raw -c 2 -f S16_BE -r 44100 -B
> 8000000 -

   FWIW, you can s/-t raw -c 2 -f S16_BE -r 44100/-f cdr/.

> CPU usage should be strictly less than 25%.

   Coolness. I looked around and found it precompiled here:

http://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~dkg/src/tremor/2009-04-24/libvorbisidec-debug-2009-04-24/

And indeed it decodes in realtime at just 100 MHz.

   Btw, I can't get aplay to use a buffer larger than 32768 samples. That
may be a kernel driver bug.

> If you have time please look at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=515259

   A related issue to take up with the Debian maintainers is the lack of
the 'vorbisidec' element in the gstreamer plugin packages:

$ gst-inspect | grep -F -i -e vorbis
vorbis:  vorbisenc: Vorbis audio encoder
vorbis:  vorbisdec: Vorbis audio decoder
vorbis:  vorbisparse: VorbisParse
vorbis:  vorbistag: VorbisTag
typefindfunctions: audio/x-vorbis: no extensions
rtp:  rtpvorbisdepay: RTP Vorbis depayloader
rtp:  rtpvorbispay: RTP Vorbis depayloader

   Currently, the only Debian package that has libvorbisidec1 listed as
dependency is mpd. :-(

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen