using a FreeRunner without cellular service

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 11:36:30 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Nicola Mfb<nicola.mfb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Rask Ingemann
> Lambertsen<ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:
> [...]
>> Then it won't be turned on. Additionally, without a SIM
>> card, the GSM modem will refuse to turn on the transmitter and receiver.
>
> Uh! I really missed that! so not emergency call with no sim?

Strange, I thought that it _is_ possible to do an emergency phone call
without a SIM card installed!

Wikipedia tells me
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number) that _some_
GSM networks don't accept emergency calls without a SIM, but
apparently this is a network option, not a GSM modem option.

Christ van Willegen