Another open hardware mod experiment: RFID-tag/Reader board for the Freerunner, Nanonote (?) and Beagleboard

W. B. Kranendonk wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 23:16:46 CEST 2011

--- On Mon, 4/11/11, Denis Shulyaka <shulyaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Date: Monday, April 11, 2011, 12:41 PM
> 2011/4/11 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
> <hns at goldelico.com>:
> > There are three potential issues whiy it could not
> work: (...)
> Wikipedia says that it uses Mifare UltraLight chip (ISO
> 14443 Type A
> 13,56 MHz), so the protocol seems to be compatible. The
> encryption
> part is unknown.

If it indeed is the ultralight chip, there seems no encryption:
"The disposable passes are cheaper Mifare Ultralight cards that do not employ any encryption or keys, and can be read by anyone." (wikipedia as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OV-chipkaart#Technology)

> > * the RFID system may be copy protected and/or
> encrypted with the tag id (and you can't change a tag id)
Bad luck! Would spoofing be doable? I got my wallet full of cards for "all kinds" of things, that is, entrance to the office and subscription for the library. I guess these are linked to the chip ID (although I know of libraries that don't use the ID of their labels, if I understood them correctly! I asked a few times, under different angles of question-attack, but got the same answer each time. Unbelievable...).

Does this kind of antenna need to have right-angled corners, as in the photo? Or is that shape easier sculpted in the PCB?

Thanks for the experiment!

Boudewijn