State of FreeCalypso

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Wed Apr 22 16:54:35 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-22 at 15:42 +0000, Spacefalcon the Outlaw wrote:
> Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net> wrote:
>
> > I disagree.  The same pathological need still seems very much present.
> > And the emphasis here is on the "pathological".  In your emails to this
> > list, there is still a very strong strain of psychological
> > disequilibrium and this is a bad thing, for the list, the wider
> > community and for you.
>
> So what exactly do YOU seek to accomplish by deconstructing my
> motivations for working on the FreeCalypso project?

As I said, perhaps I can help you to achieve some peace.  When one
person achieves some peace, we all benefit.

> Suppose you
> succeeded in convincing me to either drop the project or take it
> underground to where you'll never hear about it again - how would such
> a change benefit you or the wider community?

My concern is not to convince you to drop the project or take it
underground.  I don't know where you got that idea from.  However, an
absence of your writings on this list would benefit me and the wider
community in that in would elevate the environment to a more peaceful
one.

Let me pick out some of the individual key words which you've written
recently and which I quoted in my last email:

"peasant"
"unpaid"
"only one"
"hardship"
"unprivileged"
"nobody"
"kidnap"
"torture"
"kill"
"life-sacrifice"
"hurt"
"torture"
"painful"

These words are not exactly uplifting.  One doesn't need to be a
psychiatrist to see that there some deep problems you're grappling with.
You may not recognise or acknowledge those problems.  You may not
acknowledge that others can see the symptoms but we can.

Your emails are a mix of technical content and symptoms of your personal
psychological problems.  The latter has a negative impact on the
community.  If your emails were technical content alone, there would be
no problem.

Unfortunately, free firmware in your phone won't actually bring you
peace like you think it will.  Because as soon as you got that phone, it
would become clear that you're still bound by the proprietary firmware
running on every GSM base station.  And once you'd solved that problem,
you'd go on to the next piece of proprietary firmware like the VGABIOS
in your graphics card or the controller firmware on your hard disk.  The
phone is not the problem.  The base station and laptop and hard disk are
not the problem.  The problem is within you, within your mind.  You're
not at peace.  Unfortunately, there are no screws to tighten and no code
to patch to fix your mind.

> > On the other hand, you're saying that the
> > only reason you need a mobile phone is to contact your loved ones.  I
> > don't understand why you can't use a land line with a firmware-less
> > handset.
>
> I need *them* to be able to contact *me* freely while I roam around a
> rather large geographical area.

Why?  What is so important about needing a mobile phone for immediate
contact?

As I see it, the choices you had in the past were:

1) Let your family know the nearest landline you can be contacted on as
you move around.
2) Use a phone with proprietary firmware.
3) Threaten murder.

For some reason, you chose to threaten murder.  Why?

> > The fact that you're currently using a mobile phone with a
> > proprietary firmware without threatening to murder people shows that
> > there's some contradictions in what you're saying.
>
> No act of murder would free my Pirelli DP-L10 from its proprietary fw,

How would murder have freed your Openmoko phone from its proprietary fw?