Please update assassin version on ASU.dev

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Sun Jun 29 14:52:37 CEST 2008

Am 29.06.2008 um 09:13 schrieb Holger Freyther:

> On Friday 27 June 2008 06:31:53 Tick Chen wrote:
>> Hi Julian,
>> 	Please update the assassin version to 174
>> and add the DEPENDS of curl to assassin.
>>
>> changes:
>> 	Adding a very ugly network check quick hack by accessing
>> 		downloads.openmoko.org directly
>> 	This allow assassin detect if it can access the repository
>> directly.
>> 	(This shall be down through opkg and packagekit later)
>
> Why do we need such hacks? What does it solve?

Not really knowing what this is all about. I agree, this does not seem
to ba a very bright idea. (triggering dialins, using traffic and
producing wrong results if the target server is down)
But it reminds me of a problem that is AFAIK not tackled yet.
Something like a network state api. Maemo has libosso for this.
Apps could use this to decide how to use the network. Like not to
download big attachments via GPRS or warn users about big downloads...

Just my 2 Eurocents....