battery life problem

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 17:38:47 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008, Gothnet wrote:
> Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano wrote:
> > Robert Norton ha scritto:
> >> I observed the same problem with my newly arrived freerunner running
> >> om2008.8 update. I fiddled with the wifi then did ifdown eth0 and
> >> suspend. Bluetooth, wifi and GPS all set to off in settings. Less than
> >> 24h later the neo would not turn on (thankfully there was enough
> >> charge left to boot and start charging when I returned home).
> >
> > Yeah, anyone know anything to see which of the many things on the FR is
> > draining my battery?
>
> I'd like to add my voice to this lot, I've been getting in the order of
> 8-12 hours of battery life with minimal conversation or testing and
> everything switched to off. I even looked to see if there was a higher
> capacity battery available (there isn't).
>
> It seems to be a little better with up to date Om2008.08, but not a hell of
> a lot.
>
> Any tips on diagnostics to run?

My money's on the GSM module. I switched the GSM off because there was no SIM
in, suspended the phone on a Friday afternoon and powered it up on Monday to
find ~70% battery remaining. With GSM enabled and SIM inserted battery life
is variable; sometimes it'll make it through the night with a fair bit of
charge left, and other times it's dead by morning. I know that I sometimes
get persistent, frequent GSM reregistration, and from the interference it
generates on the PC speakers I know this is probably drawing a fair bit of
current. The reregistration is a persistent, intermittent (for me) and as yet
unexplained problem:
	http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1024