Email notification by VoIP. Was: Re: Om2008.8: execute script on incoming call

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Sat Aug 30 06:34:37 CEST 2008

Stroller wrote:
> I thought the "standard" now was unlimited data plans.
> You have my sympathies if you're not on an unlimited data plan, Ole,
> but I would see unlimited data use as the long-term expectation of
> OpenMoko projects.

Please don't assume that everyone has unlimited data plans.  It is not
as common in many parts of the world as it is in your part of the world.

I expect the IMAP client on my openmoko phone to be able to download all
my email for offline reading, deleting, and replying on the bus with
*no* internet connectivity, and then sync all those changes seamlessly
to the server as soon as I get the next internet connection.

My Treo650 does that today.  Assuming an always-on connection (as
opposed to just taking advantage of one when it is available) is a
backwards step.

-- Rod