AW: RE: unable to start up freerunner after batterie was full down

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 16 21:18:01 CEST 2008

Am Mi  16. Juli 2008 schrieb Michael Shiloh:

> Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
>
> > Jumpstart the battery is very unlikely to help you out.
> >

> Joerg, can you explain this further?
>
> I've actually had excellent luck jump-starting the battery. I set my
> adjustable power supply at about 4.5V and I connect it directly to the
> battery terminals for just a second, then measure the voltage on the
> battery. If the battery voltage is still zero, I repeat. Usually after a
> few "shocks" the battery comes out of its internal under-voltage protection.
>
> I understand that GTA01 batteries have no hysteresis and need just one
> "shock" (in fact Werner said "one electron" I think) to come out of
> under-voltage protection. I understand that GTA02 batteries have
> hysteresis and require more coulombs injected before they will recover.

I'm just suspicious a shock-reanimated battery holds enough power (=voltage)
to bring us over the boot gap, and won't activate protection again just in
no-time when we try to pull energy. That's all. Of course you can shockstart
battery out of protect-mode, no doubt. But did you get a boot with such a
bat?

/jOERG