Opkg: how to protect configuration files?

Lally Singh lally.singh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 21:56:12 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Geoff Ruscoe <gcruscoe at sigmavisions.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au> wrote:
>>
>> The packager of whatever package includes that file needs to set CONFFILES
>> to include that file.  Then opkg will ask you whether you want to
>> overwrite
>> the file, or keep your old one, or drop you into a shell to do a manual
>> merge.
>
> So am I to understand that when they are packaging the config files they are
> just not packaging them correctly?  Because many of my config files get
> overwritten without asking me anything when I do an opkg upgrade.
>
> So they just need to fix the way they are packaging them?
>
> Specifically, the one that comes to mind right now is 89qtopia because of
> the gsm mux enhancement.

If you don't want to wait for people to get their packages straight,
you could push your configuration data into SVN (or the like), and
then use it to track changes.  Overwrites on conflicting settings
should show up as merge conflicts after an 'svn merge'.  All changed
files will show up in 'svn status'.

Just commit before running opkg when you have it the way you like.
Use tags to denote which configurations you liked :-)

--
H. Lally Singh
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer Science